Wednesday 23 April 2008

Entry 1: in which there is a big bang

It has started well! A new universe. Can't beat it. Almost three microseconds old now; just post-inflation and things are ticking along very nicely. Basic laws of physics getting established, with gravity sprinting ahead as per usual. As far as I can tell, it looks like it's going to obey an inverse squares law. My personal favourite. Lot’s of implications … all kinds of things really. Hang on, just thought of one: the planets will move in elliptical orbits. Nice. And lots more besides.

While reflecting on the above an amusing quip occurred to me: “Gravity is not just a good idea – it’s the law”. Tried it out on Mrs God who seemed unimpressed. Tried to explain why it’s funny but no luck. In an attempt to lighten the slightly strained atmosphere I suggested that when I handed out a sense of humour she must have been at the back of the queue. Astonished and perplexed that she failed to find this funny too.

No comments: