Wednesday 26 November 2008

Entry 57: in which I am a trifle disgraceful

Having cogitated awhile, I present Lucy with my cunning plan, the one that features temptation. And it goes like this.

Tempt the lad.

At first Lucy is dismissive, pointing out that the lad cannot, voluntarily, quit the biological entity in which he is embedded.

Quite so, but that is not the point of the temptation.

"What you do, Lucy is to tempt the lad, to, how shall I put it, walk off a high place. The biological entity is reduced to its component parts, and the lad is free to rematerialise in the Realm."

Lucy looks thoughtful.

"I know the lad's not about to take gold in the Intelligence Olympics, but surely even he is going to have trouble swallowing that one?"

"Ah" I say, "this is the cunning bit. Being of deietic origins, he will naturally assume that he is invulnerable. In fact, you could push that very point!"

"Well", he says, "I'm a little taken aback. In effect, you are suggesting that an entity terminates itself ... Isn't that, ethically, a tad suspect?"

"Good grief Lucy. Do you know how many entities, biological, androidal, crystalline, you name it, disappear in your average supernova?"

"You're the boss" he says.

Not before time, I think to myself, and continue "I'll have the Ghost take him out into the desert and into the mountains. Spin the old 'time to fast and reflect' line. And then you step in."

He bows and disappears.

And it's true, I do feel a teeny bit disgraceful. But I shall forgive myself.

Just this once.

9 comments:

Clare Wassermann said...

I thought my life was tricky but yours is far too complex God.Have a gin xx

Janelle said...

oh decisions decisions decisions...although not convinced Lucy and the ghost will manage to pull this one off....holding my breath though...hah. xx j

Exmoorjane said...

I have been saving this....waiting for a suitable amount of time to pass in the hopes (oh yes, oh yes) that there would be a few more instalments to consume in a few greedy gulps.
Still love this - SO much.
I'm cold, fed up, probably clinically depressed but God (bless him) has raised a turning of the lip, nay even a rictus of a smile. it's a bit worrying....next up is all out laughter and we can't have that!

John said...

jollygood - I know, strange, isn't it, that deities have just as hard a time sorting their lives as we do.

janelle - you haven't been peeking in "the Book" have you? Naughty girl!

exmoorjane - sorry that you are a few endorphins short of total bliss, but delighted to think that the Realm and the antics of its denizens may raise a smile!

family affairs said...

Thx for your comment on my blog - I always pop over to return the compliment, but I need to let you know that I never ever have a clue what you are talking about - I must be extremely dense. Lx

John said...

ah, affairs, if unclear I must accept the blame. I'm just saying we can't always just do what feels nice, because fun has its victims too.

Clare Wassermann said...

Erm... and where exactly does tinsel fit into all of this?

John said...

jollygood - now that *is* a good question, profound too, and the answer is ... buggered if I know.

Pauline said...

It's January 2009 on the Planet of the Apes and this biological entity with computational neural circuits is itching to find out what happens next. I read our own existing version in a "Good Book" we have here and admit I don't like the ending one bit. Lobbing a virtual pen in the hopes that your silence is merely due to a pen run out of ink...

(this back and forth between dimensions is quite intriguing)