Thursday 25 December 2008

Postcard from Earth (4: happy birthday)

Dear Pater,

Celebrated my (Earthly) birthday today. It seems to be one of the few benefits of being here, since as far as I know I don't have a birthday in the Realm. You must explain that to me someday.

Anyway, everyone was very sweet. They put my presents under a tree - I suppose it is the thought that counts because the presents themselves were rubbish, to whit:

- a turnip
- a broom
- a pair of sandals
- some sand
- a stick (not sure if this is intended to be burnt, or to support me as I walk)
- a lump of cheese (at least I hope that's what it is)

The younger children were very kind, as was Mary, my surrogate mum. She did at least cook a nice meal including one of my favourites, Jerusalem Sprouts.

It was somehow telegraphed to me that this was a one-off and that I needn't expect an annual bash.

Fair enough.

Anyway, that's all for now,
Love to mama.

PS - send a pressie if you like, but no pressure.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

MERRY CHRISTMAS ! :)

Clare Wassermann said...

I recommend it every year! There are Jerusalem artichokes in my allotment which I shall send to you as a peace offering!

John said...

thanks gaye, same to you.

ta jollygood. Always a mystery that two completely different plants can taste of artichokes!

Reya Mellicker said...

Merry Christmas, God.

Every year I think about the fact that for Christians, Jesus has some sort of embodied existence from winter solstice to spring equinox. It's interesting - divine presence during the dead of winter (at least where I live). Hmmmm.....

Might make more sense in the southern hemisphere, come to think of it.

Unknown said...

Tee hee hee! Good to know only a fuss is made down here and not in the Realm. At least that gets the balance sorted!

John said...

Reya, no I think the winter thing is right, and I believe does hint at the incorporation of pagan rituals into later Christian beliefs

av - yup, we do need the story from a couple of angles, don't we?

Janelle said...

glad to be home and to read heavenly updates such as these. hope you had a fab xmas toute en famille...best wishes ernest. xxx janelle

Anonymous said...

As it is your Birthday... there's a little something for you over on my blog.
x

John said...

hi j, glad you're back! And thanks.

mud - thanks v much; enjoyed the update greatly.

Weeping Sore said...

Looks like you're the first kid with a birthday around another religious festival where people give each other gifts. So, I'm sure you've heard people with presents say "This has to count for your birthday AND Christmas".

Pauline said...

thinking diary entry 58 was the last, I left a comment only to return to the site to find postcards from the boy. keep the pen...

John said...

weeping sore (nice name, BTW) - yes, I guess that was the first bummer!

pauline - thanks for both your comments. I do feel that I have stuck a bit. Regulars will know I gripe about building work and make excuses on those grounds, but I also think I have stuck just a wee bit. I'm sure it's temporary, and knowing people enjoy the posts is a great help.