Monday 9 June 2008

Entry 17: In which One is made to feel One's age

Sitting around with not much to do when the lad mooches in with Lucy trailing behind. Now I've seen this sort of thing before and it is invariably the case that while Lucy may not be in the vanguard, the visitation will have been prompted by him.

After the usual rather drawn out pleasantries they get to the point, or at least the lad does.

"Well I've been thinking ....."

(Chance would be a fine thing). "Hmmmm?"

"Well it's like this. I mean, you know, time passes, none of us is getting any younger, I've learnt all I'm going to and stuff."

Not quite sure where this is going, but see Lucy shifting his feet and gazing off into the distance. Not a good sign. "Hmmm?"

"Well, I mean, perhaps we should talk, you know, just maybe start thinking about succession planning".

"Succession planning?"

"Yes, you know, for when you retire and when I eventually take over."

There was a pregnant pause. "Son, you haven't quite got the hang of this immortality thing have you?"

And they wandered off.

4 comments:

GayƩ Terzioglu said...

Good morning,
I was looking forward to the next entry in the diary of the divine...
Corruption of the young ones is so easy! At least immortality removes the eventual need to find a nursing home to dump the parents at... Oups I meant, to relocate the parents to a lovely place where they will made to feel welcome, at home and live comfortably..

John said...

GayƩ - you got me thinking. Given immortality, not much point passing your genes on, is there?

Janelle said...

bloody funny! more more please! x janelle

John said...

janelle - you are too kind. This is just an experiment and I'm not sure where it's going, but I'll do my best!